Special Situations

Special Circumstances: Change in Financial Situation

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) uses financial information from the last compete tax year. You or your family’s current financial situation may be significantly different.

Students can request that the financial aid office adjust their FAFSA information to reflect the current financial situation. On the Documents menu in the financial aid portal, there is a drop-down that allows you to add documents to your portal. Add the document called "Professional Judgement".

The following special financial circumstances will be considered for potential adjustment to FAFSA information:

  • Loss or change of employment
  • Recent separation from military service
  • Child support change or reduction
  • Divorce of parents or student
  • Change of marital status for dependent students
  • Death of parent(s) or spouse
  • Excessive out of pocket medical and/or dental expenses that exceed 11% of the household’s adjusted gross income
  • One-time taxable income

Unusual Circumstances: Cannot Provide Parent Information on the FAFSA

The dependency questions on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determine if you are required to provide your parents’ information. Biological or adopted parents and their spouses are the only ones that can be listed on your FAFSA (not grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc.).

If you are required to provide parental information on your (FAFSA) but have an unusual circumstance that prevents you from contacting your parents or contacting your parents poses a risk to you, then you can request the Financial Aid change your dependency status.

If you answered "yes" to the unusual circumstances question on the FAFSA, the Financial Aid portal should already have a place to document your unusual circumstances and validate the provisional independent status you were granted.

If you answered "no" to that question and your circumstances have changed, contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

You may be experiencing unusual circumstances if you:

  • Left home due to an abusive or threatening environment;
  • Are abandoned by or estranged from your parents, and have not been adopted;
  • Have refugee or asylee status and are separated from your parents, or your parents are displaced in a foreign country;
  • Are a victim of human trafficking;
  • Your parents are incarcerated, and contact with the parents would pose a risk to the student;
  • Are otherwise unable to contact or locate their parents, and have not been adopted.

Unaccompanied Homeless Youth

Students who lack stable nighttime housing can be eligible to submit their FAFSA without their parents' information. If you responded "yes" to one of the unaccompanied homeless youth questions on the FAFSA, the Financial Aid portal should already have a place to document this status, if required.

The college may be able to assist you with a tuition and fee waiver. Contact the Admissions Office for more details.

Dr. Bea Awoniyi, the College Ombudsperson, serves as the college's homeless liaison. Contact her for help with accessing additional support resources.

Title IX Disclosure

The Office of Financial Aid is required to report incidents of sexual violence or sexual harassment disclosed to the Equal Opportunity Officer and Title IX Coordinator for follow-up and possible investigation. If you have experienced any form of sexual violence and would like to speak confidentially to a counselor for support, please contact the Counseling and Wellness Center by phone at 352-395-5508 or by visiting Building R, Room 227.